Board index Oculus Rift Gaming Corner Indie Games Costs

Costs

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:33 pm

How much would it cost for a game to be released on the OR? I mean in terms of publishing, getting people to code for it etc. I think that since it's a new platform, and not many people will own it once it comes out, there may not even be a platform for indie games on the OR, until a few years after release :(

What do you guys think about this? Will indie gaming be possible on this?

Post Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:12 am

Indie gaming will definitely be possibly considering there are already some indie games that support it or are in some stage of supporting it. Just look at Strike Suit, I believe it's currently in beta for Oculus support which seems pretty cool to me.
Also there are a few other indie games listed in the forum section that while I feel are pretty strange still have a use of the Oculus.
I am what I am, so please love?

Post Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:38 pm

If you explore the indie section of this forum, there are already quite a few indie games that are being made Rift compatible so it must not be that hard or expensive to publish for. There are even college students with indie games in the works for the Rift.

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:02 am

As the technology and dev tools get better, I think Indie will keep on growing. New ideas, fresh ideas.
Nearly ready to launch ! www.virtualreality.com.au

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:28 am

whoisonline wrote:
As the technology and dev tools get better, I think Indie will keep on growing. New ideas, fresh ideas.

There are weird and unusual games and experiences from indie game developers that are only going to be possible with the Oculus Rift , so I think it's a game peripheral that's going to inspire a lot of creativity.

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:54 pm

ACSAPA wrote:
There are weird and unusual games and experiences from indie game developers that are only going to be possible with the Oculus Rift , so I think it's a game peripheral that's going to inspire a lot of creativity.

That's true it certainly is going to provide incredible new ideas as we have already seen in previous threads, while I might not find all of the interesting they are quite unique ideas in their own right.
I am what I am, so please love?

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:09 pm

Indie developers, if fact, seem more receptive to an Oculus Rift compatible game than major developers. If anything, you'll see indie games start having OR compatibility before other big titles.

Post Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:36 pm

For some reason, it seems to be easier to publish games for PC than for a specific game console.
Games come out for PC all the time, even some made by students. I think it would actually be easier for indie developers to make games that are Rift compatible for PC than it would be if they were trying to publish console games.

Return to Indie Games

Spinnakr Active Analytics