Board index Technical Discussion General Technical Discussion Specifications

Specifications

Technical discussion forums for the Oculus Rift Community

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Well, the specifications of Oculus Rift are truly outstanding and seem to be perfect for gamers. Also, it some fields of the specifications, it seems to beat other VR products. Anyway, for those of you who are interested, here are the specs:

Technical specs of the Dev Kit (subject to change)
Head tracking: 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) ultra low latency
Field of view: 110 degrees diagonal / 90 degrees horizontal
Resolution: 1280x800 (640x800 per eye)
Inputs: DVI/HDMI and USB
Platforms: PC and mobile
Weight: ~0.22 kilograms

Truly amazing specifications. What are your thoughts on them?

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks for laying the specs out! Im fairly new to the VR world and trying to learn more about how it works and reading and understanding specs and whatnot. The field of view is pretty amazing in itself! Do you have any suggestions for a newbie? :mrgreen:

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:19 pm

Well, any suggestions depends on what you would like to know about VR and how you plan to get involved with VR. For example, for gaming, you'll need to know specs such as the resolution as it's important to gaming, especially because it's what you'll be seeing when you have the VR headset on. Furthermore, you'll also need to know the field of view as it's a crucial feature to VR as the wider the field of view, usually, the better.

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:22 pm

Of course it's perfect for gamers - what other point would there be? I can't see how it would be useful for anything else. I'm sure there are applications somewhere but I'm thinking for the average person.

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:47 am

The specs are definitely great and I'm looking forward to the day when the Oculus can be played with my Nintendo!

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:23 am

I don't think it will have 6dof (from reddit) :geek: :

1/ Will there be any way to inject external 6DOF tracking into D3 BFG ?

2/ Consumer Rift 2013: are you open to any 6DOF tracker idea for integration into the consumer Rift ? Or will you likely keep a 3DOF tracker similar to the dev Rift ?

3/ Will the november/december dev Rift be better packaged (manufactured plastic case) than the E3/QuakeCon version ?

4/ Shortsighted wearing glasses: can we keep our glasses while wearing the Rift, or should we rather adjust the Rift lenses ?

5/ Any upgrade plan for dev Rift adopters willing to upgrade to the consumer Rift next year ?

6/ So far, can you say what 3d engines will very likely come with Rift support in their next upgrades ?

Thanks for your time :)

[–]palmerluckey[S] 13 points 4 days ago

1) Not sure yet, it is not locked down yet. 2) The tracker is going to be much, much improved for the consumer version. Positional tracking is a must have. 3) Yes, the dev kits will look a lot like the renders in the video, polished and professional. 4) I am shortsighted, too! The developer kit does not support glasses or adjustable focus, but those are things you will see in the consumer version. For now, you can either wear contacts, or get a cheapie pair of glasses, take the lenses out, and use some hot glue to mount them in front of the Rift optics. 5) Too early to say. Probably no kind of discount, though, we are barely breaking even on the current units. 6) We have Unity and Unreal support, I can't say beyond that.

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:45 am

That awesome. Just reading the specifications makes me feel that the Oculus is a neat piece of hardware and can satisfy your gaming needs.

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:28 pm

@vaericke - Except not all the specs he posted are correct. Don't believe everything that you read.

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:04 pm

I'm very intrigued about the USB input - even though I'm a skeptic, may that be a console support foreshadowing? :)

Post Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:01 pm

As a joke I would like to ask: But can it do 8x AA? I'm more interested in the immersion than anything else at the moment. I can't think of anything that would make me not want to give it a try. So many games to try, so little time.

Next

Return to General Technical Discussion

Spinnakr Active Analytics