Board index Oculus Rift Gaming Corner Indie Games Amnesia: The Dark Descent on Oculus Rift

Amnesia: The Dark Descent on Oculus Rift

Post Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:11 pm

You open your eyes.. seeing the world vertically, you then realize you've passed out in what appears to be a deserted concentric castle full of musty hallways and ominous lighting. What's worse, is you can't even recall how you got there..

You stagger to your feet, weary of even your first step as you move towards the eerie hallway confronting you. Silent. Cold. Threatening. You eye the curtains that edge toward you from the old castle drafts and shifting your back against the damp concrete brick, you avoid what creatures may hide behind it.

A room with a cracked door catches your attention, being drawn to a flicker of light you slip through and enter. The room is lit with old fashioned candles but before you can get comfy to read the half written letter on the table, a forceful gust storms into the tiny nook and extinguishes the small candlelit glow. Your hand shakes to relight the wick as you hear a faint groaning coming nearer and nearer.. You run to the door and press your back against it, your eyes lowering to your feet. You can make out a shadow moving right to left on the other side of the door.. After seconds, silently walks away. Are you being pursued..?

I highly recommend Amnesia: The Dark Descent on the Oculus Rift. This game is a psychological thriller and horror game that will get you caught up in the moment and running for your life. These kind of psychological thriller games will leave you gasping for breath at your greatest escapes and praising every accomplishment from your computer desk. Although, will you be too frightened to journey from beginning to end on the Oculus?

I just downloaded the game, it's just around 900 MB right? Good thing that it's not a really large file, it's less that 1 GB. I'm gonna install it in my pc later, and I hope that I get to enjoy this game.

I played this hearing that this game was scarier than Slender man. Which, is true. This games make slender man seem like a kids game. Amnesia makes me want to cry every time I play it. It is worth the money to buy. I barely finished the game without peeing my pants and all my friends were playing it with me. If it were to get released on the Oculus, it would be so fun to play! Though, I would get plenty of nightmares.

I've played this before, and got really, really scared. I loved the game for that, it' the only one that scared me that much.
Oh, I can only imagine how it would look like on Oculus Rift, it would be too epci for words imho.

This kind of horror games with oculus rift will be for heroes only, if the regular thing is already scary.. imagine the real thing?

Imagine being home alone, in a cold night, with all the lights off, you immersed in the game and then... SLAM! the door behind you suddenly closes itself.. :twisted:

As interested as I am in playing Amnesia on the rift, I think I'm a bit more excited about this indie game "Routine" that uses similar design philosophies as Amnesia. There's something about the fear of isolation on a space station on the moon that sends shivers up my spine. Also, it's a fresh experience so I'll have no knowledge of what to expect. Here are the features from the steam Greenlight page,

"Features:
A non linear experience lets you explore any part of the fully open Moon base and find out secrets that other players may not!

Be immersed with Full body awareness, Deadzone aiming, no HUD, no health bars or points system... you must run, hide and survive the best you can against what lurks in the base.

There are no health packs or multiple lives, in Routine there is a Perma death system that will keep you on the edge!

Multiple endings based on what actions you take."

They're also looking to add rift support for it at launch. If anyone's interested you should check out the trailer here

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92985806

Wow, I've seen gameplay footage of Amnesia and it's scary as is. One can only imagine the terror you would feel playing it with the OR. It would feel like you are really there, trying to escape from every kind of monster imaginable. Who wouldn't be frightened after that experience? :lol: If they aren't already, I hope Amnesia and OR will be compatible.

I can see the headlines now....

Amnesia: The Dark Decent would be fantastic on Oculus Rift, I agree entirely. However, what about some of Frictional Games' other projects? Such as the series Penumbra, made prior to Amnesia's success. Those games are incredibly scary, perhaps even scarier than Amnesia. If you haven't played them, do so immediately and be prepared to have your jimmies rustled extremely.

I've never played Amnesia: The Dark Descent before so I looked up some videos on Youtube. I think the spooky atmosphere and the medieval castle are really cool and it would look great on the Oculus Rift.
I'd play it. I would be uncomfortable and afraid that something was going to jump out at me, but I'd still play it.

mbarrett wrote:
Wow, I've seen gameplay footage of Amnesia and it's scary as is. One can only imagine the terror you would feel playing it with the OR. It would feel like you are really there, trying to escape from every kind of monster imaginable. Who wouldn't be frightened after that experience? :lol: If they aren't already, I hope Amnesia and OR will be compatible.

They have Amnesia reaction videos on Youtube of terrified men screaming like little girls. Is it really that bad?
So far all I see is a windy castle and various notes and pink drops of liquid on the floor. I like the atmosphere and the details look good, why are people on YouTube playing this and screaming? I can see how this game would be cool in VR.

Next

Return to Indie Games

Spinnakr Active Analytics