Board index Oculus Rift Gaming Corner Indie Games Undercurrent - Deep Sea Exploration

Undercurrent - Deep Sea Exploration

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:56 am

Hi everyone,

This Underwater Exploration demo for the Oculus Rift Virtual Reality Headset will give you a taste for the kind of experience we're crafting within the Unreal Development Kit with Native Headtracking.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FREE Working Download Links: GOOGLE DRIVE OR DROPBOX

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your goal is to explore the level by moving between canisters of air to refuel your submersible. Your oxygen bar is projected onto the glass floor of the cockpit, it will drain slowly unless you are next to a canister. To complete each level, follow the lights through the environment to reach the exit located in the hull of the ship. There are two levels for this demo experience, complete the first to load the second.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

- Plug in your Oculus Rift

- Set desktop resolution to 1280x720 or 1920x1080 and Duplicate Screens

- Download ‘UnderCurrent ?0.3 - Demo Download'

- Install ‘UnderCurrent ?0.3 - Demo Download’

- Launch Game upon completion from shortcut or ‘/Binaries/Win32’ & launch ‘UDK.exe’

- Hit F11 a couple times until the game is full screen with stereo vision and black circles around the edges which denote the image warp

- Use a USB Windows Xbox Controller or WASD + Arrowkeys or Mouse to move.

Please Enjoy! Any feedback, bugs or questions please send to: undercurrentgame@gmail.com

Thanks for looking!
Richard.
Last edited by Chard on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Richard Tongeman - Animator
www.undercurrentgame.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/UndercurrentGame

That looks really cool. Are you going to have more animals in some of the levels? The actual ocean is teeming with a crap ton of living things and there should be organic stuff ,like barnacles, growing on the sunken shipping containers. I thought the crashed airplane underwater looked cool. It's a very good looking game and it could be a fun experience on the Rift.

The name Balls Deep Productions is priceless. :lol:

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Our "visual check list" showing everything we hoped to include in the first feature complete prototype, I think we got everything! by Simon Went - Environmental Artist.

Some sweet futuristic cockpit design for the MARV, plus awesome pilot to boot! I hope we get to implement this design soon. by Daniel Taylor Jones - Mechanical Artist.

Simon's awesome interpretation of an alien ship inhabitance spreading across the ocean floor. H.R. Giger anyone? by Simon Went.

by Simon Went.

Hi ACSPA, thanks for your reply!
We're hoping to add more content to the game very soon. We'll be working some more on the game over the summer, we're planning to show off at the games conferences in the UK and build up some interest in the title.
We have some mechanical artists on the team who provided us with an excellent plane graveyard, but I believe that we'd like to add more flora and fauna to the world to make it feel alive.
I'm currently prototyping a system for animating shoals of fish and I believe there was some mention of a whale in the pipeline.
Last edited by Chard on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:32 am, edited 31 times in total.

Post Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:45 am

Sorry, dude, but that looks bad. I mean... the graphics are "meh" at best and the gameplay seems like an ambitious GameCube project that was never really sure what it wanted to be, an underwater platformer, or sub simulator.
I really don't understand the logic behind the sub hopping between rocks and cargo containers.

Post Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:32 am

Hey far, thanks for the feedback. You're right that the game has some issues but we're still working through the kinks as is always the case early in development. As an indie project it is very rare you will be seeing AAA quality because of certain limitations applied to the team. I personally really like the style, and I can't wait for it to bloom into the game we've been striving towards all along. And if the current generation of indie titles is anything to go by, I think it will suffice our audience's expectations.

As a student project we're hoping to fulfil people's expectations of an underwater world that they can escape to. As to the logic behind a sub hopping between rocks, that is both part of the charm and the constraint of the way we decided to build the game. We found that allowing full free movement firstly made our job as designers a lot tougher, slowing down the production of levels, and we believe that sort of motion would make players feel motion sick, especially with the speed of controlling a 1st person games these days, although we will definitely take a second look at the controls after our development kit has arrived.

Once again thank you for your feedback, We'll take your comments into consideration and are working to meet both the internal and external expectation of a high quality title.

May I ask about your project, if you're developing one?
Last edited by Chard on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:58 am

Perhaps I was a bit hasty to discredit what you've done so far, considering it is, in the end, an indie game, and part of the charm of those is the dedication of the team to make something worthwhile, despite the probably limiting commercial success. After all we can't all be Notch, right?
While with the current sensitivity all six axis might induce some motion sickness, but a submarine definitely doesn't more around at neck-break speeds. Perhaps tune down the sensitivity, and add an invisible barrier, to avoid the game being too heavy?

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi far, thanks for the comment, I'm afraid I don't quite follow what you mean by invisible barrier. We would very much like to tune the controls to how it feels in the oculus, and luckily our development kit will be arriving sooner rather than later to allow us that extra tweaking time. We do use collision in the environment to guide the player through the space and stop them from escaping the playable areas but if what you mean is being able to look around the cockpit then we'll be looking at building more in-game GUI feedback through the use of consoles and monitors inside your submarine.
Last edited by Chard on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:09 pm

That game looks amazing, Chard.

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:20 pm

I hope it comes out soon!
Can't wait to try it out.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks for the support guys, I'm looking forward to producing a proper trailer with the new textures, music and HUD within the next month or so once my workload isn't so much!

Next

Return to Indie Games

Spinnakr Active Analytics