Board index Oculus Rift Gaming Corner Big Titles Sword Art Online V1.0(.hack). MMO's

Sword Art Online V1.0(.hack). MMO's

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:26 pm

If you entered this thread your probably familiar with that title. If not ill explain.

Isn't this what the Oculus Rift is for? An engaging and immersive experience. If you were to use Razer Hydra controls(optimally) you'd be able to pull off some pretty good stuff, Granted the peripherals are a somewhat harsh entry price.(Rift & Hydra).

No MMO title has yet to announce that they'll support the Oculus rift. Do you think its even possible to make a good MMO that supports the Rift? Discuss...

But if nothing else, it makes those virtual worlds(MMO's) feel more real and at ones fingertips. Isn't that what "some" of those are all about? Shouldn't they be pushing for this?

Well, discuss the MMO prospect. Try to ignore the "Stuck in the game" rubbish that follows the series, its "RiDiCuLoUsLy" improbable.(but entertaining in its story telling format for the shows). Would you even want to play an MMO with this? Imagine all the potential grinding you'd do wearing this?

But even more, just imagine if the game was designed with the peripherals in mind...? Is there a market for "This" is the most important question of all...

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:38 pm

I've been watching the show myself as well. It's got a cool storyline, but the real draw for me was the creator's vision for an immersive VR experience.

I'm actually a little confused as to why there isn't more discussion about VR RPGs/MMOs on the internet. Most people seem to be interested in first person shooters or sims; but I think a first-person action-oriented RPG with the Oculus could be amazing.

Right now I'm playing a game called Dragon Nest which is like an action MMO, and I can't help but feel how much better this kind of game would be if it had VR integration. Once the OR consumer version is released I'll be buying that along with the Razer Hydra. I feel like the two would make for a great gaming experience.

Of course, these are all placeholders until we actually get "nevergear"-esque technologies. I just hope I'm still alive when that happens! I'd love to see the future of sports when it can navigate into the digital realm and grant us a more balanced (and safer) playing field/arena. Not to mention we can have sports like Unreal Tournament or DotA instead of Golf.

I'm excited to see if any developers out there can make a highly skilled and highly competitive game with the OR.

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:00 am

Sword Art Online is out of the question, since that requires sending signals to the brain, and redirecting some. Not possible with today's technology, since we're not looking through a screen anymore. We're in the game.

But for .hack//, it's very possible. Actually, it can already be done if you think about it. It's just a matter of improving graphics and stuff. If CyberConnect2 gets their hands on this, expect the world's first VRMMO in a couple years.

Imagine this modernized to today's graphics standards while using the Oculus Rift. It's perfect too since in .hack//, they used a PlayStation-like controller to move their characters.

Post Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:01 pm

I actually just finished watching all the current episodes of this last night. I think we're still many years away from achieving the type of neuro-submersion that this Anime suggests. But, that is the next step in the evolution of gaming.

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:13 am

Yeah, I believe that if the Oculus VR Headset takes off, this will be the next step in the gaming industry. After all, games are about the gaming experience and the gaming experience is how well the game pulls you or draws you into it's world. How well it keeps you involved and immersed. The Oculus VR Headset is designed just to do more of that.

The Oculus is no where close to being compared to the nerve gear headset you see in the anime (The oculus might be a skeleton of the nerve gear if that), and honestly I don't expect to see anything like the nerve gear anytime soon. But that doesn't mean to give up on trying to use the Oculus to create a MMORPG like Sword Art that will fully immerse use inside the game.

I don't want the game Sword Art. I just want a game similar to Sword Art that will give us an experience close to how it was viewed in the anime. It won't be exact same experience, but lets at least take a step closer to that experience. Work our way up to it.

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:33 pm

Arkane wrote:
Sword Art Online is out of the question, since that requires sending signals to the brain, and redirecting some. Not possible with today's technology, since we're not looking through a screen anymore. We're in the game.

There's actually a trick to this that I've thought of that I might pursue sometime in the future. Right now there's an occupational therapy for people with brain problems or ADHD where they hook you up to a bunch of sensors onto your head and then make you play pong or try to pilot a ship through a maze. A friend of mine that's tried it says it's somewhat difficult but I'd like to see this possibility explored. It wouldn't be to the point where you're literally in the game, but I think it's still close enough to be lying on your bed and thinking about swinging your sword instead of hitting a button to swing it.

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:10 am

The "brainwave" technology is already out there. I feel like Japan is making more progress with it than anyone else. But I do believe Microsoft looked into it, trying to use it for toys or something and I'm sure many other companies have looked into it as well. I think that this technology would help the oculus feel more like the nerve gear in sword art. Unfornately they would have to build the brainwave sensors into the headset which they obviously don't plan on doing at the moment.

In order to obtain the feel of the nerve gear it would almost have to be like the Matrix (movie). You would need a plug in on your body (pretty much the spine) so when you plug in the cord or whatever, that would intercept every signal the brain would send to the nerves in your body. From there your brain is pretty much in the game and you would have the nerve gear feel. We are no where close to doing something like this though. We just have to take things step by step. Put enough ideas together, eventually something will come of it.

Post Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:07 pm

badhair wrote:
The "brainwave" technology is already out there. I feel like Japan is making more progress with it than anyone else. But I do believe Microsoft looked into it, trying to use it for toys or something and I'm sure many other companies have looked into it as well. I think that this technology would help the oculus feel more like the nerve gear in sword art. Unfornately they would have to build the brainwave sensors into the headset which they obviously don't plan on doing at the moment.

In order to obtain the feel of the nerve gear it would almost have to be like the Matrix (movie). You would need a plug in on your body (pretty much the spine) so when you plug in the cord or whatever, that would intercept every signal the brain would send to the nerves in your body. From there your brain is pretty much in the game and you would have the nerve gear feel. We are no where close to doing something like this though. We just have to take things step by step. Put enough ideas together, eventually something will come of it.

If they don't plan to do brainwave sensors what can they do with another 2 million? besides upgrade screen resolution? sound? it don't cost that much anyway..

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:26 am

I really like your great explanation. Thanks for that! :D

Post Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:11 pm

lkhlkh wrote:
If they don't plan to do brainwave sensors what can they do with another 2 million? besides upgrade screen resolution? sound? it don't cost that much anyway..

A lot of people are confused about this. Oculus doesn't actually have another 2 million. If they are making around $10 off of each rift then only about $80,000 of the 2 mil is profit. This is not nearly enough to offset what they've already spent on development and other stuff. Meaning they're taking a loss in order to get dev kits to people. The company won't profit until they release the consumer version of the rift. The kickstarter money is just to be able to order the parts for the dev kits, and nothing more. Brainwave sensors might happen later in time, unlikely to be from Oculus though, and that type of technology won't go anywhere for at least the next decade.

Rift supporting MMO's will likely be out within the next few years, but from what I know mmo gamers are very picky with the types of games they play, meaning you're unlikely to really like the first one that comes out. Also I don't have much experience with mmo's, but aren't many of them 3rd person games? The change to first person will probably cause a lot of problems for current players, meaning we need new types of gameplay as well. Not really a bad thing though, and is something we can look forward to.

Next

Return to Big Titles

Spinnakr Active Analytics