Board index Technical Discussion General Technical Discussion For us Non Developers

For us Non Developers

Technical discussion forums for the Oculus Rift Community

Post Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:48 pm

If we really want the rift, like super a lot, is it fine to just order one? Will we be disappointing with the purchase? I mean its going to support every game that comes out that has rift support anyway.

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:35 am
dfp

If you're asking, then I'm assuming money is an issue. The positive of getting this while it's available now is that at this price and these specs, it's still very affordable. If there are more substantial upgrades in the consumer version, the cost will be slightly higher and further costs might translate to updating your gaming hardware as well, just so you can run games at their ideal settings.

Aside from that, I also think the devices we get now will be prized artifacts much later.

Have you ever played any game in 3D?

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:21 pm

The consumer version will probably have more features and higher specs than the developer version. As far as I know it will support the same games as the Oculus Rift 2.0 aka the upcoming customer version, so it should be relatively future-proofed aside from the increased resolution and other improvements you'll need the newer OR for.

And like dfp said, they may become valuable collector's items later. ;)

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:15 pm

They are encouraging consumers to wait but there is nothing stopping you from purchasing one. I ordered one and I'm not a dev.

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:13 am

Im not a developer, though i might try some stuff later on. Considering this one comes with Doom 3 bfg, it is probably a better deal than the release one later on. Even if it does have more specs.

Return to General Technical Discussion

Spinnakr Active Analytics