Board index Technical Discussion General Technical Discussion Positional Tracking in Dev Kit

Positional Tracking in Dev Kit

Technical discussion forums for the Oculus Rift Community

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:04 pm

Can positional tracking be added to the dev kit via a software update?

I believe the dev kits will have the 6DoF sensors that were created in house, so the hardware capability should be there. Do we have any comments from Oculus regarding positional tracking being supported with a software update? And if so, do we have an ETA?

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:05 am

MadSage wrote:
Can positional tracking be added to the dev kit via a software update?

I believe the dev kits will have the 6DoF sensors that were created in house, so the hardware capability should be there. Do we have any comments from Oculus regarding positional tracking being supported with a software update? And if so, do we have an ETA?

The dev kits are going to have 3DoF. 6DoF would imply that it could also handle movement through 3D space.
This talk is a bit long and involved and full of math, but still cool to watch. This guy goes over how they're using an accelerometers, gyroscope, and compass to build out orientation and also goes over the limitations of each sensor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7JQ7Rpwn2k

Go to 23.47 to see how position tracking works (or doesn't) with these kind of sensors.

Bottom line, the sensors on the rift don't support it, or don't support it well enough that it would be a good experience since accelerometers bounce and the gyroscope only measures rotation. Palmer on a couple of the interviews I've seen has said that positional tracking is going to be a "must have feature" on the consumer version and it'll be interesting to see how they do it, but don't expect it as a software update.

A stop gap measure, if you really feel you need it right now, would be to just mount some TrackIR balls to it or use a Kinect to handle position and distance.

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Nate answers your question at 5:45 in the below video. If you don't want to watch I'll paraphrase what he said:

"We could track position with the rift sensors but it is not up to the standard we require for good VR. Positional tracking is a must have for the consumer version. We could possibly allow an add-on for the dev kit later on to enable positional tracking."

Sounds like its a possibility but definitely not just a software patch.

http://youtu.be/xpV7qq1vyd4?t=5m45s

Return to General Technical Discussion

Spinnakr Active Analytics