Board index Oculus Rift Gaming Corner Big Titles World of Warcraft

World of Warcraft

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:01 am

Could you imagine playing an MMO using the Rift? I feel like the experience would be really great. Imagine walking through dungeons and feeling like you are really there. Watching spells come and go and being able to watch your blade come down on your enemies. What do you here in the Rift community think of that? Not only in WoW, but any MMO.

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:25 am

I think World of Warcraft would be greate in VR as long as you dont do pvp/raids or hang around in crowded towns.
And there are so many WoW gamers around the world, i guess it would be a great advertisement for the rift (if it still needs any :lol: ).

Hope blizzard will give it a try, because modding wow should be very hard (they have one of the best anti cheat engines i have ever seen - warden).

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:04 pm

MMO's would be a good implementation for the rift. However, WoW would have to have a first person camera view also right? And things like online PvP might start to get really hectic with the rift on. It would be very interesting to see this done well though.

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:42 pm

Even though the factors and risks of using VR for WoW is high just imagine the scenery. The beautiful scenery in WoW.

Outlands, The Blood Elf Starting Zone, and even the Undead starting Zone. Imagine seeing Sylvanas and Thrall right in front of your eyes as you engage in conversation with them. WoW would be perfect for the Rift and I would gladly give my money to see it come true. :)

Post Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:42 am

The Oculus Rift would be awesome to slip on and just walk around and look at the scenery, but I don't really see it working with the combat system of WoW. I'd say a FPS MMO with the Rift would be the next huge MMO that will take WoW's place. Maybe a CoD MMO? I'm not a fan of the franchise, but I see it really hitting big.

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:45 pm

I played Guild Wars 2 in 3D and the action buttons were just weird trying to click on. Everything was 3d but the action buttons. Kind of like I had to pull my mouse back out of the 3d to click on the action buttons. Guess if I learned to use the Function keys...

Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:46 am

Nnamd wrote:
I played Guild Wars 2 in 3D and the action buttons were just weird trying to click on. Everything was 3d but the action buttons. Kind of like I had to pull my mouse back out of the 3d to click on the action buttons. Guess if I learned to use the Function keys...

I don't know how Guild Wars is, but in most MMOs, if you don't use keybinds at least for your spells that is instantly the mark of a bad player. I suggest you really take the time to develop some touch typing skills.

Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:12 pm

WoW would be perfect for it. I personally haven't played WoW, but I have seen it a little bit, and I know that it would look great.

Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:40 am

I've played WoW in 3D, and it's amazing. But sometimes when you have to reach for some keys it's hard knowing if your hand got back in place on the keyboard properly. Then you have to be able to take a peak at the keyboard to get back on track. And wearing oculus at that time would demand that you lift it up by hand, then get it back in place after you've found where to place the hand again. So with the conventional input i'd say it would be very cool for exploring but not for gaming.

However, there seem to be a control scheme for playing wow with the Razor Hydra. I highly doubt it's any good for raiding, but it might extend the possibilities to what you can do ingame while wearing the hmd. I will probably get my hydra before i get my devkit, so i will give it a shot and see if it's anywhere close to playable ^^

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:57 pm

wigge wrote:
I've played WoW in 3D, and it's amazing. But sometimes when you have to reach for some keys it's hard knowing if your hand got back in place on the keyboard properly. Then you have to be able to take a peak at the keyboard to get back on track. And wearing oculus at that time would demand that you lift it up by hand, then get it back in place after you've found where to place the hand again. So with the conventional input i'd say it would be very cool for exploring but not for gaming.

However, there seem to be a control scheme for playing wow with the Razor Hydra. I highly doubt it's any good for raiding, but it might extend the possibilities to what you can do ingame while wearing the hmd. I will probably get my hydra before i get my devkit, so i will give it a shot and see if it's anywhere close to playable ^^
always remember keyboards should have little tabs on "f" and "j" keys to help place them back on track w/o looking.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000922.htm

i could also see little plastic sticky bumps to place on important w,s,a,d keys like they do with MMO mice (the ones with 16 side buttons).

Next

Return to Big Titles

Spinnakr Active Analytics